Thursday, February 16, 2012

These Days

Days of measuring out medicine.

Days of supplying kleenex in bulk.

Days of holding and praying as we wish for better days of feeling well again.

These past few days our home has been struck by one very nasty germ! I could go into song with complaining. I couldtell you how awful it has been... especially since it got me too (on Valentine's Day no less). I won't do that though. Instead I will tell you a different story.

It has been a sweet time of catching up together. It has been a time of watching movies on the couch together. A time of playing a few quiet games. A time of chatting about things... Deep things. A time of being blessed by my husband as he tends to things that he normally doesn't count as part of his own typical day.... And then some.

Today Caleb and I are home. Luke finally felt well enough to go back to school. Caleb lies on the couch looking out the living room window.

"Mom, lay here.... Just like I am."

He gets up and points for me. Tells me where to put my elbow and focus my gaze. I look.

"Do you see it? The tree out there has branches that form the shape of a heart."

I see what has caught his eye. I see it, and I see his heart. I tell him how very neat it is that he saw it.... Explain that a lot of people might miss it, but he stayed quiet long enough and gazed hard enough to see something very beautiful.

That's how things have been here for the past week or so. We have stayed quiet long enough and we have gazed hard enough to see the beautiful in the ordinary days of sickness. I am grateful for the ability.

I am grateful for the reminder from my 10 year old Caleb today.

No comments: