Thursday, January 3, 2013

From One Year to the Next

Here we are at the beginning of yet another year that will probably pass quicker than the last.

That seems to happen a lot.

I'm not sure what has happened, but I have been stricken with a HUGE case of writer's block for the past several months. There is still so much on my mind and heart, but putting it all to words has become difficult. Perhaps you noticed if you were so fortunate to receive one of out Christmas cards this year. Sorry...

I could blame the writer's block on the fact that I grade horrible writing all day now that I'm teaching language arts to 5th-8th graders. Is horrible writing contagious? They try, but most fail. Can you guess what one of my goals for 2013 is?

I could blame it on the fact that I just see more opportunity for living life in full swing, which means less time spent at the computer. Our family is growing faster, and I just cannot seem to stop them. I'm afraid to look down for fear that I will miss something. My eyes are focused upward and onward right along with all of them.

Or... I could just stop trying to place blame and get on with it. That is, welcoming another year full of wondering. Isn't it sweet when you get to a new place in life when wondering isn't a bad thing, but a magical thing? That is exactly how I feel at the beginning of this new year. I am excited about all that God is going to do through our lives and in our lives this year! There are many changes on the horizon.

At the top of the list is the fact that in a few short months we will have our first driving child birthed out of this home. Hmmm... I wonder what that will be like?

Second from the top of the list is that we will see another one of ours graduate from 8th grade and move into high school. As parents, there is much to wonder about when sending children into high school. I wonder what it will be like to have TWO of our boys going to high school together?

Over the past couple of years, home has been redefined in this home. We are home now, but where will home be on this day next year? We do not know, but God does. I can only wonder....

So we begin another year of wondering. At the end of 2013, I will no longer wonder about the things I wonder about today. Those questions will be answered for me, and I will move on to another whole new set of things to occupy my thoughts. I think that is what makes it magical... Not in a mystical way, but in a spiritual way. God is FULL of wonder. He wants to surprise us! Accepting that idea has been key to a changed heart in me. A changed heart, and a heart definitely more at peace.

Here's to looking upward and onward together... Continuing to be contently full of wonder.


No comments: