Tuesday, June 16, 2009

12


That's right... you read it correctly... My oldest is now TWELVE years old! Today is a beautiful day, and today is Luke's birthday. So, as I've made a habit of doing, I will reflect here on this past year of his life.

This year has been a year of growth for Lucas. He has grown in every way possible. Mostly though, his heart has grown. He is becoming such a man... right before my eyes. He's becoming a young man to be proud of and admire. As I watch from afar as he interacts with his friends I notice how these boys look up to him. They love the encouragement that Luke always has to offer. There have even been many occasions when Lucas has offered encouragement to others who haven't been so kind to him. Lucas tries to remain positive in most situations. That's a character trait that I wish I could say came from me, but it didn't.

His favorite position to play in baseball has become catcher. I was surprised by this at first because you have to wear all this gear while playing that position. It doesn't look comfortable and Luke has always been HUGE on comfort! It didn't take me long to figure out that he loves it so much because he gets to direct the team. He loves to go out and give the pitcher that extra pat on the shoulder with a good ol' "You can do this". It actually makes me tear up sometimes. He's a fantastic ball player, but I still think that my favorite thing about watching him play is witnessing where his heart is in the game.

He continues to be a BIG help around here too. He's the ultimate peace maker... and that comes in REALLY handy with a couple of younger brothers who make squabbling a hobby. Luke achieved the goal of getting his own dog this year and with that came a LOT of responsibility. He has taken on this responsibility and done well. With this experience has come a new understanding of "parenting". Between watching him with his brothers and his dog, it's easy for me to see that Luke will make a great dad someday.

My prayer for Lucas this year is this:

God, you know this boy from the inside out. You formed him and you know in what direction his life will go. I thank you for this son of mine. I thank you for his sweet heart and what a privilege it is to witness him grow. I thank you for protecting him both day and night... in all his many activities. As he continues to grow from the inside out, I pray that you continue to be the light that he looks to for direction. I pray that Lucas always knows that You are his ultimate provider, protector and lover of his soul. I pray that he grows closer to you with each new year. I ask that you guide him in handling life's situations. I also ask that you guide ME in mothering him. That I will know when to hold back and let him learn on his own, with your help. This boy is precious to me, but I know he's even MORE precious to You. Amen ~

Happy birthday my sweet 12 year old!

****** Update ******

Although he most likely won't accept this time around, I just received a phone call from our league president informing me that Lucas was voted on to the All-Star team this year. This is his third year in a row being voted on. Congratulations Luke! I'm proud of that accomplishment... even if you decide not to play in the tournament this year. :0)

2 comments:

Papa said...

Happy Birthday Luke! You are a joy in my life!

Papa said...

Way to go Luke! I'm proud of you.