Saturday, May 9, 2009

For My Mom...

Tomorrow is Mother's Day. When my boys ask me what my favorite holiday is, I always answer with total confidence in my voice...

"Mother's Day, of course!"

It's not just because I get complete princess treatment for the day either. It's because I'm a mom! The fact that I get to celebrate this day is a miracle to me. It took a lot to get these boys of ours here, and there was a day (many, actually) that I wasn't sure that I would ever be a mom. There were many nights when I cried myself to sleep after losing out first two little boys. I spent countless hours literally begging God to grant me the desires of the deepest part of my heart. Today I am mother to three perfect (well, you know what I mean) blessings. Therefore... Mother's Day is and always will be my favorite holiday.

Over the years, I have also grown to have a much deeper sense of gratitude, respect and love for my own mom. This has given me even MORE reason to love celebrating this special day. With each year that passes and milestone that falls behind us, I realize all the sacrifices my mom made for me and my siblings. My mom has always been a person that gives of herself freely. I'm positive that this is a trait that she inherited from her mom, and I pray that it is one that I can carry on myself. As I drive my children to and from their sporting events, church gatherings, and music lessons I understand how hard it was for her. What looked easy and "the norm" to me as a child was SO NOT EASY after all! Even the task of preparing a meal at the end of an already very full day brings me to thoughts of what my mom did for me.

More than that though, my mom was always willing to offer her emotional support... along with a LOT of prayer, even when she knew that what I was about to do might very well be the wrong thing. I grew from those experiences, and I know that's what she was thinking all along. Being the parent in that situation though is SO DIFFICULT! I know that now as I have tried to offer this same kind of support to my own. I'm also aware that it will get a lot harder too... this is only the beginning.

Mom, I love you so much and I'm so grateful for what you've done for me in the past and the ways in which you continue to teach me how to be a good person and a great mom. Our relationship has grown and blossomed into something that I treasure with every part of my being. You have shown me what it means to be a self-less person... to be a person who doesn't just SAY that they love Jesus and wish to follow Him. You exemplify through your actions what it means. There is no greater gift than that.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom ~

No comments: