Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Taking a Break




This week we are on fall break. I LOVE fall break. Well, I guess I LOVE ALL breaks, but especially my fall one. My heart cozies up to my boys for a whole week of just playing and hanging out together. I get to linger over my coffee for a bit longer than usual. We all adore the colors of fall and the crispness in the air, so we get to take a break from the business of life and just savor it.

In some ways, I guess you could say that it sometimes feels like we are preparing for hibernation. Oh, wait... we're not bears, so I guess that's not actually allowed. Well, something similar at least. Our boys don't play any winter sports, so our schedules slow down A LOT and it really does FEEL like we almost hibernate.

Anyhow... I digress...

Back to our break. Today is Wednesday and so far this week we have gone hunting for our Halloween costumes and taken a trip to the pumpkin patch. Every year we shop around at thrift stores and find our costumes. We piece them together. It's more fun that way. It's just NOT fun going and buying the complete costume in a box or on a hanger. The boys and I look forward to this trip every year. I love to see their creativity change. Lucas chose to be a mad scientist, Colby chose to be the mad scientist's "experiment gone wrong", and Caleb chose to be a plumber. I know.. a PLUMBER?????? I'm telling you... my Caleb boy... he's something else! I will be sure to post pictures.

Our trip to the pumpkin patch was fun, as always. This year, for the first time ever.... the boys decided that they were too old for their regular trip to the patch. Apparently, the train is too small and full of "screaming little ones", and overall, they have outgrown it. :0(

HOWEVER... when Grammy Berta invited us to go to a patch with blow up castles and slides and HOMEMADE PUMPKIN MUFFINS... the overwhelming response was.... "Well, DUH, Ya!"

I'm so happy that they haven't truly outgrown the pumpkin patch.

We've been doing lots of other fun things this week, but the general theme has just been togetherness and it just doesn't get any better than that! Lots of hugs being tossed around... and even a few kisses here and there.

I love fall break!

1 comment:

Talysa said...

Ahhh...Fall Break...it goes by WAYYYY too fast in my house! :-)

Pssstt...I posted a whole post about chocolate gravy just for you! Well, you and a couple of others that had never heard of such a concoction. Enjoy! :-)