Saturday, November 3, 2012

So Long

It's been so long since I've been here.

It's been so long since I have sat long enough to really think.

It's been so long since I've gathered enough words to write that would make any sense at all.

It's been SO long!

An unexpected clump of time has found me here tonight though, so I sit with my lap top in a cozy corner of my living room. Everything outside oozes the arrival of fall. It took awhile this year. As I gaze out upon the panoramic view of the hills and the lake from my living room window tonight, I cannot believe my eyes! The trees appear to be glowing they are so vividly bright. The sky is gray with a solid line of an orange sunset at the bottom of the horizon. It's all amazingly GORGEOUS! The air is crisp too. It's no longer warm enough to wear just a t-shirt outside and be comfortable. My sock drawer has been revisited this week while my flip flops have found their way to the back of my closet. I refuse to live as the native Californians do and freeze my tootsies off during the cooler seasons! All of these hints of this new season reminds me of one thing...

My season of hibernation is coming up. Baseball is soon to be over and there are only a couple more weeks of soccer. I enjoy watching my boys play their sports, but this time of year has become a real treat for me too. I LOVE my months of lingering Saturdays and slower meals around the table with my family during the week. As a family we have learned our seasons well. We have mastered the skill of dividing and conquering during the busy times, and we have perfected our season of hibernation too. We have learned the art of balance. Such an art it is too. With a family of three boys, it took us awhile to get where we are... It wasn't easy. At times, it still isn't. Once in awhile, temptation rears it's ugly face and tries to take hold. I think back to last spring when we let one of the boys try out for a year around sport. In the end, they didn't have enough boys to make a team, so it didn't work out. There was disappointment of course, but now? Now we are thankful. We are thankful for the Lord's continuing protection of us... Of our time. He knows best.

I hope to have more stolen moments of time to sit and get cozy while writing during this season. There is much on my heart, but the words are still in a rather scattered state. They will come together though. They always do. For now I am going to just bask in this moment of fall and the reminders of all that is lovely about it right now and in the days to come.

2 comments:

The Holbrook Family said...

Well, as you bask...I shall pack:) Great to catch-up on your blog. Can't wait to sit and "bask" with you in the joy of friendship and thanksgiving! Much love to you friend.

Lindsey said...

I somehow stumbled upon your blog and I'm glad I did. I'm about to become a mom to three boys (my other two are 5 and 3) and I've been struggling with accepting the fact that I may never have a girl. After scrolling through your blog a bit, I am inspired by your love for your boys and especially how you say they are "so doggone easy" :) I would love a little perspective from someone with older boys. Have you ever felt like you were missing out on certain things by not having any girls? What have been the best parts of having all boys? I know I am a total stranger, but I have spent the last hour being inspired by your uplifting words, so thank you. If you'd like, you can contact me at tanner.lindsey@gmail.com.